Monday, April 12, 2010

What are we really supposed to do??

"Jesus said, "My kingdom is not of this world. If it were, my servants would fight to prevent my arrest by the Jews. But now my kingdom is from another place."" John 18:36 (NIV)

"Everyone must submit himself to the governing authorities, for there is no authority except that which God has established. The authorities that exist have been established by God. Consequently, he who rebels against the authority is rebelling against what God has instituted, and those who do so will bring judgment on themselves." Romans 13:1-2 (NIV)


"Remind the people to be subject to rulers and authorities, to be obedient, to be ready to do whatever is good, to slander no one, to be peaceable and considerate, and to show true humility toward all men." Titus 3:1-2
"But avoid foolish controversies and genealogies and arguments and quarrels about the law, because these are unprofitable and useless. 10Warn a divisive person once, and then warn him a second time. After that, have nothing to do with him." Titus 3:9-10 (NIV)


"Submit yourselves for the Lord's sake to every authority instituted among men: whether to the king, as the supreme authority, or to governors, who are sent by him to punish those who do wrong and to commend those who do right. For it is God's will that by doing good you should silence the ignorant talk of foolish men." 1 Peter 2:13-15 (NIV)

"Do not conform any longer to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God's will is—his good, pleasing and perfect will." Romans 12:2 (NIV)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

My mind wanders back to our Palm Sunday 'home church' service. In Talkeetna, sharing a wonderful weekend of fellowship with the Schommers & Baxters; Ty & Jason plan ahead to be able to have Palm Sunday Service right there at the cabin. Ty leads us in the liturgy, and Jason takes the task of sharing the message, the sermon.

Palm Sunday -- our Lord's triumphant entrance into Jerusalem, the first day of Holy Week. We start looking forward with expectation to the day we celebrate his Resurrection. But before that we know we'll celebrate & remember Jesus' transforming the Passover meal into the Lord's Supper, and then the darkness of his betrayal, his suffering and his death on a cross. All this to get us to the Joy of His Resurrection, defeating of death and sin forever.

But getting back to Palm Sunday, and Jesus' entrance into Jerusalem. The people are lining the sides of the road, with palm branches. They are crying out in joy and expectation of their Savior come to rescue them from their oppressors, the Romans. Excitement to finally see the power He has so far used for healing and bringing back life, to see the Power of God used to conquer the Romans and free Jerusalem and the Jews forever.

But, as Jason pointed out in his message for us that Sunday, Jesus did not come to destroy, defeat, or conquer the Romans. He did not come as a political savior to overturn the government of the day. He came for you. Just you. and me. Each of us, individually, as a single person needing the grace & forgiveness of our sinful state as humans. And overturning or conquering the Romans was not going to do that for you, or me, or anyone. Jesus is Lord & King -- but he was not concerned with ruling worldly things. He came to be Lord, King & Savior of our eternal souls. To rule our hearts. To show us true Love (1 Cor 13) so we may know God's love for us, and how to love others. To show His love for you.

So I have a bunch of Bible passages that I found while thinking on this. Would Jesus, if He were here on Earth as one of us today, would He join a Political Action Group/Committee? Would He be trying to change our government to conform to what He knows is right & good? Or would He be active in His own local community and group of friends (& strangers), sharing with them what He knew to be right & good according to God?

Would He protest a health care bill that allows for the governments taxes to pay for the taking of an unborn life? Or would he be hanging out at Planned Parenthood clinics and other 'crisis pregnancy' centers, talking with the young girls and women who are looking for answers in a scary time of their lives?

I totally didn't want this to be a WWJD post! but I can't help but go there. I see Jesus' hands & feet & mouth & heart in so many people all around. And it's not the ones trying to change things from the top down. It's in the volunteers and staff of Parachutes Teen Resource Center in the Dimond mall -- just being there for at-risk teens, providing them a place to be instead of getting into trouble, showing them love and compassion when most people make sure they have their purse or wallet secure when passing by them. And it's in the parents & staff of a school that pitch in to feed kids and families in that same school, when layoffs and tough economic times make it hard for those families to feed & clothe themselves. It's in the people who roll up their sleeves and start working to help their neighbors, rather than those who scream at the government to fix it or change it or make it better.

I don't do enough to be that. To be the hands & feet & mouth & heart of Jesus in today's world. I have good excuses -- don't we all? I have to work, and extra hours now, so I really don't have the time. And I'm uncomfortable around teenagers -- I'm afraid of the day I'll be dealing with my own, how can I expect to deal with teens that have real issues? I can't invite strangers over for dinner -- I have my kids' & family's safety to worry about. And besides, I don't have time to keep my house clean enough to invite anyone over, except family or friends-like-family that don't care what my house looks like. I don't have time to share my faith with unbelieving co-workers or parents at school, and what would they think of me if I did?

Good excuses, huh?

And so why do I seem to have time to read about and argue in favor of those political action groups that are trying to make abortion illegal? or defend the definition of marriage, and all the GOVERNMENT benefits that come with it? Why is it so easy to think that speaking up against the government's policies is worth my time, but people in my own neighborhood or church are still strangers to me?

That's what I have rambling around in my head today. Amid the work projects I need to get done and the after-school schedules I have to keep straight. And the on-going drama of life on this earth.

I pray I keep my eyes, ears and heart open to all God has put in front of me to do - and recognize and take time for all those who are in need of His love and mercy.

No comments:

Post a Comment