Sunday, April 11, 2010

The beginning of...

It's Sunday morning about 7am (although I realize it will be somewhat later when I finally post this). I've been awake for the last 1.5 hours. I've been reading blogs that I keep as RSS feeds on my Bookmarks Toolbar. And I have been thinking over things running through my head, some of which are the reason I was up earlier than I would have liked. And my mind kept going back to this thought I had while driving around yesterday:
"You need to write this down -- you'll forget how it goes when you think of it later."
So, while reading blogs, another thought comes to me... a blog could be where I keep the thoughts that I would otherwise forget later. So here I am.

The thought from yesterday, which has not come back to me in the exact same way because I didn't write it down, had to do with my thoughts on the word "trust" and discussions I shared in on Friday evening regarding the same.

First, my TRUST is in my Lord & Savior, Jesus Christ. All else I hope flows from that -- not perfectly, as I am yet human and tainted by my sin-inclined human-ness (humanity didn't seem quite the right word).

But I have been seen as being "too trusting" and sometimes "gullible" or "naive" -- which, when pointed out to me, makes me feel judged as immature or inferior. And I've started feel that is unfair -- if I am truly perceived as immature or inferior for my trusting nature. I do acknowledge that my perception of what people may truly mean by labeling me this way is not necessarily their perception of what they mean.

But should I be so indignant to be thought of as "more like a child" than others?

"Jesus said, "Let the little children come to me, and do not hinder them, for the kingdom of heaven belongs to such as these." Matthew 19:15
"When Jesus saw this, he was indignant. He said to them, "Let the little children come to me, and do not hinder them, for the kingdom of God belongs to such as these. I tell you the truth, anyone who will not receive the kingdom of God like a little child will never enter it."" Mark 10:14-15
"But Jesus called the children to him and said, "Let the little children come to me, and do not hinder them, for the kingdom of God belongs to such as these. I tell you the truth, anyone who will not receive the kingdom of God like a little child will never enter it."" Luke 18:16-17

Not to use this to say that I am truly "like a little child" so therefore I am using these passages to show I'm actually better than anyone. I do not ever want to hold the Bible over anyone as a way of showing them how much better I am -- because I am NOT. No way, no shape, no how.

But I use these as comfort & consolation to my human pride.

[so I was interrupted in my ramblings, and I'm going to end on a somewhat-completely different note]

Originally I thought my ramblings would take me back to 1 Corinthians 13, the "Love" chapter of the New Testament. This verse was one that I found when trying to explain why my natural instinct, or personality, to be trusting (or actually, to not be distrusting) is a good attribute. In this chapter of the Bible, we are given God's definition for Love -- the love we receive from Him, the love He wants from us, and the love that we are commanded to show others. ("A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another." John 13:34) And in this definition, we find the word "trust":

"Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres. Love never fails." 1 Cor 13:4-8a

That is from the NIV translation, since it is my default on my iPhone Bible, that is what I have been reading. But other translations do not say "always trusts" -- they say "believes all things". This might bring about my own deeper study of this verse, going back to the Greek (?) and conferring with someone knowledgeable in it. But I am OK with being the way I am. After all, in some ways it has been a gift. To approach people with a sense of general trust, rather than distrust with a need for them to prove themselves to me. I'm not saying people who are opposite of me are wrong -- but that I'm OK being the way I am.

And one last thought. Maybe I have a general sense of trust with everyone, because I know that my ultimate trust is in my Lord, and that nothing of this world can separate me from that. So trusting others may just be an extension of my ultimate trust that my life is in good hands, at all times.

God bless everyone who was unfortunate enough to stumble upon my ramblings!

No comments:

Post a Comment